I took just a plain Jane table from a thrift store and painted it a pale gray, then put some bright yellow letters and numbers on it to try to make it look better. Some lucky kids will be able to sit here to play, study, and eat. MAYBE even eat Thanksgiving dinner or Christmas dinner here! It's headed to my booth at Le Fou Flea in West Bottoms of Kansas City, MO. Thanks for taking a look. Sorry I didn't get any before pictures of this.... but it started with very light wood.
Friday, October 18, 2013
Thursday, October 10, 2013
I thought the chair had some potential. So I painted it an off-white; and then I let it sit for a LONG time before getting brave enough to tackle the upholstery part. Once I did start the upholstery work, it went faster than I thought it would. It took me about 3 hours to get the old fabric off the chair, and then another 3 hours to add the new fabric. Here's a few shots of the "after". Sorry the pictures have so many shadows in them. I was taking them after dark with the aid of some lamps.
As you can see, I got rid of the buttons and tufting. I thought this fabric had too much pattern for the tufting to look attractive. I also eliminated the separate loose cushion by just making a solid overstuffed seat. The chair is very comfortable.
Friday, September 27, 2013
At an auction this summer I won the bid on a set of 6 old chairs. This was a farm sale and the chairs had very clearly been stored in the barn. They were a filthy mess. Take a look:
These chairs were, in fact, so dirty that I wouldn't even carry them into my basement before wiping them down and stripping off the old fabric. Oh, I didn't mention that two of the six chairs I purchased were so beat up with chunks broken off of them so I just left them sitting in the farmyard. I took the four best chairs home with me.
The chairs didn't get stored for long as I had a nice, solid wooden, round, drop-leaf table that needed a set of chairs. So I painted, distress, and sealed the table and restored the chairs by gluing, cutting new seat boards, painting, and reupholstering the seats. Here's the finished product:
Here's a before shot of the table:
Thanks for stopping by my blog to take a look.
Tuesday, August 27, 2013
Friday, August 23, 2013
Tuesday, August 6, 2013
The people who run the store and the other vendors are SO nice; that's a plus! We just had our first "First Friday Sale" and it went well, but I was surprised at how much work was actually involved in preparing for the event! Luckily, I was able to hire a few young men to help with the move and a friend came along to help me arrange my items.
So in this post, I want to share a few projects I've been working on and some pictures of my new space.
Here's one project that I tackled for the store. Take a look at what I started with... a falling apart cabinet. There is one drawer and one door. I bought this at an auction for a quarter. Yep, you read that right; a quarter. Nobody else wanted to take it on. LOL The veneer was in horrible shape, I had little choice except to scrape it off. After that I painted it a green, and used vintage maps to cover the missing veneer. Here's the finished cabinet at home in my booth.
I had a lot of complements on this piece but unfortunately it didn't sell. Maybe at the next sale.
Here's another remake. A neighbor gave me this love seat. I really didn't know if I could do a thing with it. First off, It was absolutely filthy. So, the first order of business was to mix up a disinfectant and clean it up. I knew then that I wanted to paint the wood white and distress it. Then I had a couple of ideas for those cushions. I finally settled upon using two vintage seed sacks that I had been saving for about a year. You can see the result in the pictures. I really worried about how sellable this would be since it was so different. But somebody bought it for their lake house right away. That was quite a relief.
Here's a few pictures I took around the booth. The building I'm in was a bag warehouse. My booth is in one of the historic executive offices.
Thanks for stopping by and taking a look around. Oh, the name of the store is Le Fou Flea. It means "the crazy flea". Cute huh?
Click here for Savvy Southern Style Link Party: http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/
Sunday, July 21, 2013
Well, before school was out last year, a fellow teacher asked me if I would recover some dining room chairs for her. Knowing that chairs are very simple, I said yes. Well I was in for a surprise. I'd never seen dining room chairs put together like this. My teacher friend told me that they were hand made and had been in her family for years.
Notice that instead of just having a padded board for the bottom these have frames and springs. They were really worn and somebody had stuffed some plastic bags under the springs just to keep the springs from popping through.
Have any of you ever seen chairs assembled like this?
So anyway, to make this work I had to take this apart, there were too many springs that were broken. Then I used webbing on the bottom of each chair. Then a layer of muslin, then foam, then more muslin, then batting, finally the decorative fabric that the customer had selected.
I'm pleased with the way the chairs turned out, and I hope my customer is too. Oh, I normally don't do custom work, I usually just do the work that pleases me and put it in my booth hoping that a customer will like it and take it home. But, being a teacher, and I had this summer pretty free, I decided to take a few custom jobs. I'm finishing up the last one now. Yes, there is one more after these chairs.
Here's the before.
Here's the after; a total of 4 chairs.